Shot from inside the ellipse (7 o'clock position near the catwalk!) by Pearl, or 219's (side view) by Annie and Sophia.
After the amazing experience that was Vegas 2, nothing else had a chance to compare.
Oakland 1 was damned good, but the larger size of the venue alone-- equivalent seating but a much larger floor area and hence distance to the stage-- meant that it would have to work hard to compare.
Before the show was marred by some interesting screw-ups that will be told later.
The show was still amazing... it just lacked the personal touches that marked Vegas 2, and we were scattered in pairs all over the arena, mostly on the upper level. Dancing around in pairs just doesn't have the same energy as a larger group, particuarly when you're crammed in the upper deck and can't really move much, and can't see the graphics and the bright lights as clearly. Pearl and Jer scored their entry into the Ellipse at long last, though!!!
The Miracle Drug opening felt a bit more touching this time around, and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own continues to be much better live than on the album. Hearing One Tree Hill was very unexpected, and Yaweh was a pleasant surprise for the second encore.
The feel was much closer to first leg shows at Oakland 2. The graphics were better and U2 really has things going smoothly, but the lack of special surprises made it feel much more conventional. Zoo Station sounded better in Vegas-- having heard it three (?) times now on Vertigo, I'm happy to hear it every time, regardless! With Or without You had nice touches in the "wooooooo wooooooo" being nice and drawn out from Bono.
I think we were just a bit overwhelmed. Too much U2 in too short a time, plus we had a much better view from our seats in Vegas...
Pearl and Jer emerged from the ellipse, Pearl's pigtails completely dishelved. They had tons of fun! =D
Who went... Majed, Rashad, and friends-- although we never did meet up with them. Pearl and Jer had their fan club floor tickets that got them inside the Ellipse! Annie and Sophia were two sections over from us, closer to the stage. Erik made it late (missed the first three songs), but he actually made it! Amy wasn't persauded by Sophia and I to come, so after Pearl got off work we pulled the heavy artillery (Pearl's insanity) and she convinced Amy to come. =D Yoshi finished up at clinic and made it, too! I don't think the conversion to complete U2-obsession happened to Amy or Yoshi like it did to Annie three nights ago in Vegas, but they had fun, and that's what matters. Woohoo!!
And somehow, Erik's life is spared...
- Waiting in the ellipse -- Pearl and Jer waiting in the ellipse for the show to start. They're at about the 7 o'clock mark by the catwalk. 0:27.
- City of Blinding Lights, part 1 -- The Edge, jamming to the opening song, City of Blinding Lights. 0:41
- City of Blinding Lights, part 2 -- HOLY CRAP... RIGHT NEXT to The Edge for COBL, if only it wasn't sideways! 0:29.
- City of Blinding Lights -- from Annie's camera. Not quite sure what this one is, the loud bass drowns out most of the audio, I think it's COBL... 640x480, 55MB, 0:30
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For -- Panning around the ellipse. So harmonious and peaceful with cell phones all around providing pinpricks of light. 1:01.
- Miracle Drug opening -- Opens with "I am The Edge" as Bono describes how they have met The Edge, and how The Edge is from the future. Dedicates Miracle Drug to doctors and nurses. 0:44.
- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, part 1 -- Sideways. A little blurry. 0:51.
- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, part 2 -- continued, zoomed in a little more. The walking man graphic is clearly visible. Sweet! 0:33.
- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, part 3 -- If it's not obvious, Pearl and Jer really like this song! video quality looks very good, nicely zoomed in. 0:53.
- Close-up -- of Bono on the edge of the ellipse!! Damn!! Nice placement! Sideways. 0:13.
- Love And Peace Or Else, part 1 -- opening moments. 0:26.
- Love And Peace Or Else, part 2 -- sideways. Shaky and zoomed in tight on the stage, lots of drummer action. 0:44.
- Love And Peace Or Else, part 3 -- the rest of the song. Bono strutting around the edge of the ellipse and drumming. Great video!! 3:21.
- Sunday Bloody Sunday -- very nice view of the stage and the crowd in the ellipse cheering. 0:50.
- Sunday Bloody Sunday -- Rocking out to Sunday Bloody Sunday. Bono's having a grand ol' time. 640x480, 112MB, 1:03.
- Miss Sarajevo, part 1 -- View is a bit blocked with all the headers in the way. Nice and pretty once the view clears up. 1:56.
- Miss Sarajevo, part 2 -- zoomed out to finish the song and fade into the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights, complete with the faces on the screens and lights. 2:47.
- Miss Sarajevo -- from Annie's camera. Stays zoomed out. Bono and The Edge are the only two lit by spotlights. 640x480, 117MB, 1:06.
- Pride (In The Name Of Love) -- the infamous "ohhh ohhh ohhh ohhh!" of the song. 0:51.
- Where The Streets Have No Name -- The start, just after the end of Pride. The scrolling flags and talking about the One campaign to lead into the song. The camera's audio pickup is overwhelmed by the bass at some points. *grins* 1:21.
- ...darkness... -- cell phones lighting up the dark arena. 0:20.
- One, part 1 -- just the opening strings. 0:11.
- One, part 2 -- the lighting is very dramatic. Doesn't feel quite as special as it did with Mary J. Blige, but still... awesome. 1:51.
- One, part 3 -- video is a bit floorish in the beginning, but pans up and down dramatically. 2:28.
- One/One Tree Hill -- I never expected to hear One Tree Hill live. Sweet! (much screaming in excitement!) 1:16.
- One -- from Annie'camera, the view of the stage and lights is very different from the upper side seats. Digital zoom is just a pixelated mess, tho. 640x480, 122MB, 1:13.
- First encore -- a good shot of the scrolling graphics. 1:01.
- Zoo Station, part 1 -- sideways and a bit blurry of The Edge. 0:16.
- Zoo Station, part 2 -- sideways then rotated... and in focus! woohoo! 0:21.
- With Or Without You, part 1 -- nicely zoomed out. Bono's "woooooo wooooo" is very audible about the 40 second mark. 1:08.
- With Or Without You, part 2 -- Lots of crowd noise. Beautiful 0:49.
- All Because Of You -- Start of the second encore. End of of the song.0:22.
- Yaweh, part 1 -- short, but nice audio. 0:26.
- Yaweh, part 2 -- the graphics on the light strings are clearly visible. 0:13.
- Yaweh -- from Annie's camera. The rear light pattern-- alternating orange/red and dark, is much more dramatic from the upper seats. 53MB, 0:31.
- How Long/'40', part 1 -- the beginning of the end... 0:16.
- How Long/'40', part 2 -- zoomed in closer. 0:32.
- How Long/'40', part 3 -- a bit dim and dark. 0:27.
- Leaving the stage -- That's it... waving goodbye! 0:18.